The house is located on property Morris Wolf acquired
from Denison Stocking on April 28, 1878, for one thousand
dollars. Morris Wolf owned the property from 1878 through
June 1903, at which time the property "with all
improvements" was sold to Aaron Schlesinger for
thirty-five hundred dollars. I Indicated by records,
the house was built during the time Morris Wolf owned
a. the 1881 tax roll listed Wolf's property as "lot
and improvements occupied as his residence at the forks
of Baton Rouge and Woodville Roads (present date - Ferdinand
& Commerce St.). Value was assessed at three thousand
dollars. (a two thousand dollar increase over the purchase
b. Wolf sold the property to Schlesinger for thirty-five
hundred dollars, indicating that the value of improvements
between 1881 and 1903 were approximately the same.
More specifically, the house was probably built between
1878 and 1881.
After Schlesinger bought the house in 1903, it was
used as a private residence by the Schlesinger family
until January 15, 1954, when Dorothea Schlesinger (Aaron's
daughter) sold the property to Frank Vinci for seventy-six
hundred dollars. Vinci traded the property to Eloise
Burnett for ten thousand five hundred dollars and a
twelve foot strip of property on Highway 61. At the
time of purchase, Burnett converted the house into three
The Wolf-Schlesinger House was later abandoned and
left to ruin unitl Dick & Florence Filet purchased
the home in 1981 and totally renovated over 3 years,
the main house and existing three room wing. A fourth
room was later added over the cistren and back porch,
thus connecting the main house to the servant wing.
The Filets initially opened the Wolf-Schlesinger House
as a Bed & Breakfast calling it the St Francisville
Inn. The back wing of six rooms was also added at this
time, keeping the same architechural design. One year
later, enclosing the back porch for more dining area
and adding a commerical kitchen, a restaurant was added.
In 1990, the Filets sold the St Francisville Inn to
Patrick and Laurie Walsh, the present owner/operators.
The Walshes have since added a swimming pool, the tenth
guest room and owner's quarters in the attic of the
mainhouse. The Walshes welcome you to come enjoy a stay
at their Inn and experience the beauty and history of
St Francisville, Louisiana.